Photobucket


Kicking the Habit

Say what you will about cell phones, but they have certainly gone a long way toward curing the world of one of its biggest problems (#1 down below, but don't jump ahead!)

Sure, there are negatives to cell phone use: cell phones ringing during a movie; cell phones being a distraction to drivers on the road; mothers in supermarkets being unable to control their children with their one free hand (not to mention the lack of attention the kids get while mom's gabbing); and the threat of brain tumors (I take solace in the fact that I'm not a lab mouse).

Despite the negatives (a general decline in civility being among them, although, really, are cell phones the cause or merely a facilitator for the behavior?), there are many positives. Were I to rate the top five (unless I get lazy and end at 4) benefits that cell phones have brought into our lives, my ranking would look something like this:

5) The ability to call a single, individual person. Really, this is the stuff of science fiction here. Just like Captain Kirk could flip open his communicator and, without even pushing a button, be connected to the exact person he wanted to talk to, we can flip open our cell phones and call--not a family, or a group (or everyone on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise)--a person. An actual, specific person. And if that person's not there we can leave a message for just that person, rather than leave a message with someone, trusting them to pass it on.

4) The freedom of not having to remember a hundred phone numbers. I used to have dozens of phone numbers memorized, and I was pretty good at it. But, of course, for any number I didn't know I had to look it up somewhere. Not anymore! Now I can save hundreds of phone numbers in my phone, and when someone calls it tells me who it is! Isn't that amazing?! I can program in the numbers of everyone who has any reason to call me, and if I don't know the number, I don't have to answer. It's wonderful.

3) Telling people if you're running late. You remember those days, don't you? Somewhere in between leaving home (where there was a phone) and arriving at your destination, something comes up to slow you down and you have no way of letting the people who are waiting for you know that you'll be late. You could always stop at the 7-eleven and pay two bits to call, but that makes you even more late than you would have been. With cell phones, though, you can whenever you like; you can even call a little late and make them sweat a little bit. Or, do my wife's favorite thing and say you're still an hour away as you pull into the driveway (I've thought of doing this myself, but I don't want to scare her).

2) (Almost there). Security. No more do you have to be nervous walking down dark alleys. With a cell phone, you can walk down any dark alley with $20 bills hanging out of your pockets, with 9-1-1 dialed into your phone and your finger hovering over the Send button. Well, maybe that's still not a good idea, but if something does come up (while you're being prudent and careful) you don't have to go running for the nearest payphone (that probably won't work). Breaking down on the freeway is almost enjoyable if you have a means to take care of the situation yourself, rather than relying on the goodness of strangers (you'll be stuck on the side of the road a long time).

1) Letting the phone ring. Since the invention of the telephone, humankind has been unable to let a telephone ring without answering it. It started as simple curiosity (what will happen when I pick this thing up?), and slowly evolved into a seemingly overpowering compulsion. Countless prayers have been cut short in an attempt to answer a ringing phone. An entire horror movie could be made with just a ringing phone (2 hours of people walking around NOT answering the phone; "You can hear it! Answer it! ANSWER THE PHONE!")

With the cell phone, though, that compulsion is dwindling. There is still the occasional person who will flip their phone open and answer a call right in the middle of a face-to-face conversation (becoming more prevalent with the proliferation of the Blue Tooth (BORG) contraptions), even at the check out counter at a store, at the movies, or in a meeting.

The majority of people are realizing, though, that you can let the phone ring. Most phones even let you "ignore" the call (although astute people will know when they've been silenced). You know who called; you can call them back anytime. There is no longer a need for pavlovian adherence to the ringing bell.

So, say what you will; villify cell phones if you must - there are indeed some drawbacks. But the next time you see that name (you know the person) flash onto your cell phone's screen, and you silently press the Ignore button, know that all the drawbacks are worth it.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Dan, you make me laugh! Every time I log on and you have a new post, I just know I'm going to laugh. Thanks! And reading your post about cell phones makes me want to get one...well, almost.

Misty Moncur said...

I've been teasing Dave lately about the woman that answers his phone and tells me I cannot talk to my husband. I hate this women who has the nerve to tell me I cannot talk to my own husband whenever I want to. She tells me to leave a message. I know it is just for his ears, but secretly I wonder if this woman is listening smugly.

I enjoy the security of knowing that if I break down on the highway, Dave or Robert or Mark or Dan or Dad or Russell or James or Danny or anyone else I want, is just the press of a button away.

Kristin Sokol said...

I love cell phones. I don't even care if they are giving me or other people massive brain tumors. I think the convienience is worth it.

I do have a problem with Blue-tooth contraptions as you may or may not have read on my blog, but that is just because they don't actually work.

I only wish more people realized that their phones were thier slave instead of being a slave to the phone. I use the ignore button alot because my phone is nice enough to tell me who it is. I also have a nice lady (me) who tells people I will call them back because I can't or don't want to answer right now.

katie said...

What about when you're at your in-laws and the conversation gets really boring. You can just pull out your phone, flip it open, and you have your instant entertainment.

Annie said...

I'm the best at ignoring a ringing phone! And, I agree with Katie, entertainment is always nice. Although I think she was being sarcastic in a way!