Photobucket


'A Pizza Napuletana

"'A pizza è na piatanza tipeca napulitana, pussebbelmente 'a cchiù canosciuta e cunzumata int' 'o munno." (Pizza is a typical naptan dish, possibly the most well-known and most consumed in the world.)

For anyone who has never eaten an authentic Naptan pizza (the ones made in Napoli (Naples), Italy), you're really missing out. And you're in luck! There's a place in Salt Lake City that makes 'A Pizza Napuletana.

The place is called "Settebello", which is the most highly-valued card in the Italian card game, "Scopa". It's at 260 South 200 West in Salt Lake City, or there's one in Las Vegas, if that happens to be closer to you.

There are very strict regulations that govern who can call their pizza authentic. Among those regulations, "The cooking of the pizza must take place on the surface of the oven and not in any pan or container. The oven must be a wood burning oven and structured in a bell shape and of special brick with the floor of the pizza oven constructed of volcanic stone. The oven must be fired with only wood and kindling." This place goes the extra mile by importing as many of their ingredients as possible from Italy

I know what you're thinking: "Why would I pay more for an authentic pizza when Little Caesars makes one for $5?"

You just can't compare the two. They both happen to be called "pizza", and do have some similarities, but the authentic stuff really is better; you just have to trust me. I've sent dozens of people over there since it opened last year, and every one of them has enjoyed it to the point of going back regularly, and craving it over normal "American pizza".

Yes, it is a little bit pricey (but no more so than an Applebee's or TGIFridays), but you'll be gald you tried it. (The picture below was my pizza from last Saturday. I couldn't keep from eating a bite or two before taking the picture. Mmm...)

3 comments:

Kristin Sokol said...

We will have to try it. I am quite a pizza snob myself. After living in upstate New York for 18 months, nothing but New York style pizza cuts it for me.

There is a really great New York Style pizzaria on 2100 S. and State that serves great pizza. It's the only one I have found that compares.

I'll send my review once we've tried it.

Misty Moncur said...

Is it really that much better? Because it looks gross.

Dave said...

mmmm...pie. Have to try it.