Photobucket


Spisters and Spuncles

Ever since my siblings started getting married I've felt that the English language is lacking in proper terms for in-laws (which I think is a horrible term anyway). So I've spent years trying to come up with words that would more accurately describe the relationship between me and the people in my life.

It has always seemed strange to me that "Brother-in-law" can refer to my sister's husband, my wife's brother, or my wife's sister's husband. In my mind those are 3 completely different relationships that shouldn't be referred to the same way.  So from now on I will refer to my sisters' husbands as "Sibrother", meaning a brother-in-law related to me through my sibling. Likewise, the wives of my brothers will be "Sibsisters". Isn't that already much less confusing?

When I got married I had a whole new set of problems. At least in my mind, my wife's brother is related to me differently than my wife's sisters' husbands. Does is seem like that to anyone else? So from now on, I will refer to my wife's brother as my "Sprother", meaning "spouse's brother". Likewise, my wife's sisters will be my "Spisters".  My wife's sisters' husbands will now be referred to as "Sibsprothers" meaning "Spouse's sibling's spouses", and my wife's brother's wife will be my "Sibspister" . All clear?

Along the same lines, I've always seen a difference between the nieces and nephews that are the children of my siblings and those that are the children of my wife's siblings. It always seems strange and a little disrespectful to distinguish between "my" nieces and nephews and "hers". So from now on, "my" nieces and nephews will be known as nieces and nephews, and my wife's nieces and nephews will be my spanieces and spanephews. They can also refer to me as their spuncle, and "my" nieces and nephews can call my wife their "spaunt".

Doesn't it seem like we should have had these words forever? I look forward to accuracy and clarity in my familial relationships going forward. And if this makes sense for you and your family, pass it along so the world (at least the English speakers) can benefit from this simple yet long-overdue set of definitions.

2 comments:

katie said...

I think that to be clear-er, we need to be given a graph or chart or something. I think this is a great idea that will catch on, possibly in the next century. You have already made your mark on society. You may not know it now, but you will be remembered for your contribution way after you return to the dust. (like Mozart or Beethoven, or even Vivaldi or Rachmaninoff). Kudos for your effort.
Sincerely,

Your favorite Sibsprother

Misty Moncur said...

...I'm still your sister, right?