Photobucket


Wetshaving

Awhile back I came across a great post on one of my favorite blogs, ArtOfManliness.com about wetshaving. I had never known there was an alternative to the 2- and 3- blade razors they sell for way too much. So I looked into it a bit, priced out some options, and eventually took the plunge.

It cost a bit to get set up with the equipment, but the razor and brush should last at least a lifetime. And the replacement blades cost between 10 and 25 cents apiece, rather than $2.50-$3.00.

I have to say, though, that the cost savings over time wasn't really the appeal to me. It always felt like something was missing from my shaves. It felt silly to squirt foam from a can and pull a wimpy piece of plastic with a couple little slivers of metal across my face. Is that really how men shave?
That's how men have been shaving for a generation or so, but what did men do before that? They made their own foam with a the fur of a dead animal and spread it on their faces, then used actual metal blades sandwiched in a heavy hunk of shiny metal to remove their whiskers. I wanted to be a part of that. It's similar to my reasoning for wanting to become proficient at using chopsticks: If the majority of the world's population can do it, then why can't I?

If you want to try wetshaving, you'll need a couple things. First, obviously, a safety razor (you could go with a straight razor, but I'd suggest working up to that). You could continue to use foam from a can, but I'd recommend getting a badger brush and some shaving soap. I was able to get everything from Amazon.com. It's a little difficult to find the equipment at local stores. Wal-Mart has some good replacement blades and most stores sell the soap, but there's a limited selection.
I've found that it works best to shave right after showering; you have to soak your whiskers to get them soft enough to cut comfortably. I put the razor and the brush in the sink half-full of the hottest water the house can produce before getting in the shower so that the brush can soak, too.

After showering, I drain the now-cold water and fill the sink again. Then I'll take the brush, shake it a little to remove some of the water, and mix up some foam with the soap.  The soap I bought comes in its own bowl, so you just mix it up in the bowl, but you could also get a separate shaving mug to mix the soap (or cream) in.
Wetshaving is not nearly as fast as shaving with a plastic razor and foam from a can. It may not even be a closer shave; it's hard to compare. You also have to be a lot more conscious of what you're doing. You actually have to hold the razor at the right angle (a plastic razor adjusts for you) and have to keep from pressing too hard (plastic razors won't allow you to press too hard). It forces you to be more in tune with the razor.

Swirl the foam onto your face in a circular motion, pushing it up under all the whiskers on your face. Hit each area from different directions to make sure you get it all covered.
Then let it sit on your face for a few minutes to penetrate the whiskers. This is a good time to put in hair gel or deodorant. 
I like to shave once with the grain of the whiskers, then once against the grain (reapplying the foam every time). Then I'll just do a spot check, rubbing my face with one hand, finding a spot that needs extra attention, lathering it up, then shaving it again. There are a couple trouble spots on my neck that I can never seem to hit right the first couple passes.
When you're finished, wash your face with cold water to close the pores, dry it off with a towel, and enjoy knowing that you're shaving the way millions of real men shaved before you.

1 comments:

Mike McKea` said...

Nice post....one day I will try it.