Photobucket


Letterboxing

Letterboxing, I've found out, doesn't have anything to do with envelopes slugging it out in a ring. It's not even related to the They Might Be Giants song (lyrics found here). Nor is it the practice of transferring widescreen film to video formats while preserving the film's original aspect ratio (actually, it is, but I'm talking about something else).

I might as well give you the definition from the web site itself: "Letterboxing is an intriguing pastime combining navigational skills and rubber stamp artistry in a charming treasure hunt style outdoor quest."

On our recent trip to Colorado (view pictures and synopsis at Annie's site here) we were introduced to letterboxing on Memorial Day by Annie's sister, Liz.

I'll freely admit that I had my doubts. It seemed like a lot of trouble, kind of girly, and I really didn't think we'd successfully find anything. I was wrong on two of those. It wasn't much trouble at all; the clues pretty much led us right where we needed to go, and were usually pretty close to the road. And, as a result, we found all but one of the 5 we looked for. (Okay, so it wasn't really girly, either, but sure seemed that way at first).

It's an interesting hobby; it's sort of like Geocaching, Stamp Collecting, "Penpal"ing, and treasure hunting. On the website (there are two, actually, Letterboxing.org and AtlasQuest.com) there are clues, some easier to follow than others. Some tell you exactly what to do and where to go, while others take a bit of guessing, deductive reasoning, and trial and error.

So, first, you read the clue, then you drive to where it tells you to begin (although, sometimes you have to figure that out, too), then follow the directions to the "letterbox". When you find it, you stamp YOUR rubber stamp (did I mention you need to bring a stamp?) in the little book there and write a short message, then stamp your book with THEIR stamp (the one in the letterbox) and write where it was and the date. Then seal it back up, hide it, and go to the next one.

It's pretty simple, and really pretty fun. It really is like finding a buried treasure (especially for the kids). And the amazing thing is that they're not just in exotic places, or vacation places, or special places. They can be anywhere! Do a search on one of those sites and see how many are within 25 miles of where you live. You'll be amazed!

The thing I really like about this is it's something you can do in any free time, or while heading out on vacation, or while on vacation, or whatever. And it doesn't cost much. Maybe about $5 to begin (for a stamp and a notebook (and an inkpad is handy)). There aren't membership fees or expensive equipment to buy. Between the time we decided to do it and the time we actually did was less than an hour (and in Annie's family, that's QUICK!)

Anyway, we all thought it was fun and wanted to share the fun with everyone else. Check out the websites linked above, and go out and have some fun.

5 comments:

Robert said...

Hmm, it does appear to be like geocaching, but with female directions instead of male directions. For example. Female: "turn left at the stump and it's across from that funny looking tree next to that place that looks like a grease kitchen" Whereas a male would just say: "111.497 degrees W 49.751 degrees N" Now, don't get me wrong, both will get you to the same place, just that geocodes don't need you to know which of all the trees is "funny looking"

Misty Moncur said...

Shut up Robert. Even though you're right. Yeah, it does sound a little girly. But I guess you could have a manly stamp. A man stamp (hehe).

Kristin Sokol said...

I'm totally going to do it. Thanks for the notification. I had no idea this was going on around me. It's like geocashing, but fun.

Kristin Sokol said...

Besides...you never know what you find in your letterbox tomorrow.

katie said...

Personally, I enjoyed the "take 35 steps ahead" part the best. It may sound girly but I can GUARANTEE you that Dan had a good time. And he's not very girly. Oh wait...he sews. Oh and Dan....I gave my friend the quilt you sewed in my behalf and I promise that I gave all of the credit to you. And Annie for cutting, although I did do a few rows. Thanks again. She loved it.