Photobucket


Dewd


Two of my favorite things: Diet Mountain Dew and Yo-yos. Who would have guessed they'd have so much in common?

Last night as I was making pasta (no, really, making the pasta itself) I knocked my glass of mountain dew off the table while trying to split the pasta dough (which, in Italian is called "pasto", oddly enough) in half. It really stunk (not the Dew, just the situation).

That's the first time I've spilled my drink in many years, and at first I wasn't really sure what to do. It was a LOT of Dew, plus a lot of ice. It was almost a full can.

Of course, my first instinct was to lick it up off the floor, but then I looked at the floor and even my desire for that juicy sweet goodness couldn't overcome my revulsion at licking the floor. So I grabbed the paper towels, but then thought about how "un-green" that is, and I had an image in my head of Al Gore strapping me to a chair and talking to me for hours (as punishment).

I ended up using a sponge to sop it up and rang it out in the garbage can. Not my finest hour, but I was desperate. But, later that night when Annie got home and I was sitting at the table trying to pretend that the drink had never spilled, I noticed that my feet weren't sticking to the floor, even though I hadn't rinsed the floor (spilling a non-diet drink would have left a huge sticky mess for weeks, no matter how well I'd cleaned up).

Yes, that's correct. The Diet Dew cleaned up really easily without leaving a trace of stickiness anywhere.

Where is this story going, you ask? Although it's good enough to stand on its own, I told you that story to tell you this one:

Okay, it's not a story, but that's a great line. And so is this: Wouldn't it be nice if we could "Diet Sweat" instead of Regular Sweat? You know, we'd work all day out in the sun and sweat all day long, but it would just be water and aspartame or something. Or fake salt, whatever that stuff is. That way we wouldn't have sweat residue all over us the rest of the day. Yep, Diet Sweat. How about it, science?

Oh, speaking of pasta (this is the real reason for telling that story and that great line...or is it?), I cooked up some lasagna last night (that's what the fresh pasta was for). Hopefully in the next couple days I'll be able to post the recipe (along with mouth-watering pictures). Stay tuned!

4 comments:

katie said...

Serioulsy Dan?!? You make me laugh and roll my eyes. glad to see you're enjoying the diet stuff.

erin said...

haha! i'm still waiting for the yo-yos to come in the picture...I was thinking you were going to sop up the spilt MD with the cake rolls or something :)

Misty Moncur said...

Mmmm...Mountain Dew soaked cake rolls.

Dave said...

maybe we could all carry a spoonge around and soak up everyone's sweet necor of sweat. MMMM...aspertame. Al Gore invented the internet you know.