Photobucket


Pretension

Last week my Assistant Division Director asked me if I would attend the managers' meeting this morning to take notes for the people in my section, because my manager is retiring soon and refuses to go to the meeting. So I got all dressed up (well, okay, so I just put on a tie), and went down to the meeting, even though the whole thing didn't quite add up in my mind.

Seriously--my supervisor usually attends the meeting. There would be no sense in both of us being there, would there? And why choose me? I have the least seniority of anyone in the section. I'm not even licensed to do my job yet (but will be soon). So, anyway, I was pretty perplexed (I tried to find another 'P' word to add there, but couldn't find one).

So, to make a long story short, and that short story even shorter, it was a fake managers' meeting. Well, I guess it was technically a managers' meeting, but only in the sense that there were many managers meeting together (see, I got three 'M' words. 'P' words are just harder).

It was an "Employee of the Year" recognition meeting, and I was the employee of the year for my division (there are about 50 of us). They made me stand up in front of everyone and gave me a letter and a "Payday" candybar. It was pretty embarassing, but good to know that I'm appreciated.

I'm not a really good self-horn-tooter (that's fun to say, though), but it was really nice to be recognized for the contribution I make. And, even more important to me, it's nice to be in a position where I can make a meaningful contribution.

6 comments:

Annie said...

You are amazing:) I would like to nominate ME as employee of the year for 695 N 310 E. Is that ok? TVTB, auguri!

katie said...

Yeah. go ahead and toot your own horn. I can't wait to see what you're going to buy me with your winnings.

Misty Moncur said...

Hey, that's pretty cool. I thought you were going to say that he tricked you into going to a "meeting" that was really a lecture or a counseling session on your being too pretentious in the workplace. So...this was better.

Heather said...

Congratulations! That is awesome! Boy, between you and Mark, there are awards all around! You two are a credit to your name, I'll tell ya! Really, this is great!

Kristin Sokol said...

So I guess they don't realize you spend most of your day blogging? Or maybe they do know you spend most you day blogging and they just enjoy reading it so they are okay with you wasting tax payor money. (Yu work for the State, right?) Either way, I'm glad you got a free Payday candy bar. Too bad it wasn't something with chocolate though.

Dave said...

Concrats! Hard work pays off..
Your future will be full of more pay...days? Now really good job.