Photobucket


A "Great" Post

Lately I've been noticing a disturbing trend. Similar to, but much worse than, the "air quotes" that gripped the nation a few years back. Sure, there are some people who still use the "air quotes" from time to time, but nobody pays any attention to them anymore.

Just when I thought people were starting to use quotation marks more appropriately, I've noticed this new, very disturbing trend. And it's not just from uneducated people; it spans all socio-economic group.

People are using quotation marks to "emphasize" things. And sometimes using "them for" no apparent reason. Take this example, found on the restroom door at the local grocery store:
I mean, I can understand that they want to emphasize that no merchandise should be taken into the restroom, but isn't there are better way to show that than by using quotation marks? Maybe CAPITAL letters? Underlining? An exclamation point? Maybe a picture of a person's hand being cut off? I dunno.

They're not actually quoting someone, are they? Who said it, Gandi? Confucius? Maybe it was the store manager, but that still wouldn't qualify for quotation marks.

There's also a mexican joint in town, and right as you go in you're informed that they accept "no" checks. "No" checks? Perhaps they really DO accept checks, and this is a loose guideline. Maybe they accept checks from the people they want to accept checks from, but to put the "no" in quotation marks does nothing to emphasize their point, but actually weakens their policy.
The worst offense I've seen is this party invitation we received awhile back:
There will be "food"? "Food"?! What exactly are they planning to serve? Is it wax fruit? Pictures of turkey dinners? I don't know what to expect.

And an "open house"? Do they really not want people to come? Is the house not really open?

And, of course, the big question: Is it really his "60th" birthday?

I don't mean to criticize... really. But, for sanity's sake, please stop "using" quotation marks when they're "not needed".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to "offend" anyone but I "think" the use of "quotation" marks is indeed getting way out of "hand." "I totally agree on this issue" I said in an "insignificant" fashion.

erin said...

HAHA! This is "hilarious"...and so true.

the fake food idea - love it

katie said...

I think I'm going to have a party soon so I can serve "food".

Misty Moncur said...

I have not really noticed this "trend" increasing. However, I think I should have "noticed" that sign at the grocer's. You are absolutely and completely "right." Using air quotations, even on paper, usually implies a great deal of "sarcasm." And being sarcastic when you don't intend to be....well, "shoot," using air quotations is kind of "fun." There "might" be something to it. Oh yeah, and now I'm "hungry." I think I'll go get some "food."

Kristin Sokol said...

I am always delighted to see signs like the one on the grocery store bathroom. It makes my day. It makes me think. "No matter how dumb I think I am...at least there is someone dumber than me."

By the way did you go to that party or "open house" you go the invitation for? What was the "food" they served? Wax Fruit?