Photobucket


I Blame China

I recently had my weight measured by a professional. It turns out I'm obese, at least by the government's standards. I'm not saying that I couldn't stand to lose a couple pounds, or fifty, but there are some mitigating factors involved in the calculation of obesity. I could make this post about all the reasons that the government's standards are wrong (BMI calculation being inaccurate at heights above 6'; changing standards of the definition of obesity, etc.) but I'd rather talk about how I got here.

I put most of the blame on the Chinese. You heard me. It's all their fault. How many times were we told as kids to eat everything on our plate because there were children starving in China? I developed such compassion for the Chinese people growing up that I still can't even be rude to them. I ate every bite of every meal (except the onions) to somehow keep them from starving.

There was a recent news report here that the Chinese children are tired of our leftovers, and I don't blame them a bit.

To this day I still have a hard time leaving food on my plate. As restaurants have increased their portions, my waistline has increased with them because I've been conditioned since birth to lick my plate clean.

There's another reason for the obesity epidemic in this country: the Food Pyramid.

If you add up the total number of servings that are recommended and multiply it by the number of calories in each serving, I'm surprised we don't all look like Violet Beauregarde from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. You can see from this graph of obesity in America that since the food pyramid was introduced in 1992 there has been a steady increase in obesity rates.

I guess there's enough blame to go around: the government, China, the Egyptians (for the pyramid part), and even a little blame left for me for trying to adhere to the food pyramid.

5 comments:

Kristin Sokol said...

Why don't you just bite the bullet and join Weight Watchers? It really works you know.

Misty Moncur said...

Yes, this is probably factual, but have you actually tried, since 1992, to eat according to the food guide pyramid? I did a lengthy report on the pyramid my freshman year of college and was astounding to see that a healthy person could be eating up to 12 portions of carbohydrate a day! Of course, when you actually look at it closely, you realize that the portions are basically miniscule compared to what we believe is a portion. But I do think you're right that we should place the blame for our fatness where it belongs: on the Chinese and the Egyptians.

Jenny said...

I blame Chinese food!!! I can't get enough of it.

Rub said...

Can't we blame part of it on the Canadians as well.

Canadians. [shaking fist]

Sherry said...

In honor of helping the starving
Chinese (and African in my house)children, would you please email me your pasta recipe that you took to katie's? i know you don't measure; but give me a rough idea. We want to get fat on carbs around here! :-) Especially Jason. Thanks! samndirt@hotmail.com