Photobucket


Life's Been Good to Me So Far

I've recently realized that I've skated through life pretty well so far. That's not to say that I haven't had my share of minor troubles, irritations, and problems, but for the most part I've gotten off easy.

I don't want to jinx myself here (I really hope my desk is made of real wood) but I just wanted to take a minute to reflect on the problems I haven't had, especially since getting married (i have a hard time remembering anything before that...maybe things were so bad I'm repressing those memories?)

Our house is still standing, and is still very comfortable for us. I'd like to thank everyone again who helped us fix it up when we moved in. For anyone unfamiliar with the story, with the help of friends and family we were able to fix (and build) walls, retexture some of the walls, paint every square inch of the interior, remove and replace the carpet, and dozens of other things in under a week. We've continued to fix it up and it's really turning into a nice home.

Our vehicles are still running relatively well, and one is paid for. Annie's Malibu has about 130,000 miles on it, and still hasn't had any major problems (a water pump went bad last year, but that's about it). I know that repairs are on the horizon, but we've gotten over 2 payment-free years out of it. That's great. The Jeep's still running well, but it still sucks down gas like... well, about like you'd expect. It's fully insured, though. Are there any good cliffs in Tooele?

I have a job that I enjoy. And, on top of that, my bosses are glad to have me. How often does that happen? Sure, I'd leave if the right offer came along, but for now I enjoy it and have no complaints.

Even after all these years, I still get along with my family. From what I hear, that's pretty rare, especially considering how many of us there are. We still get together on a semi-regular basis and get along fine when we're all together. No complaints.

We have enough money to pay our bills, and even a little extra each month. Sure, I'm not able to engage in my expensive hobbies as often as I used to, but I'm okay with it. I'm sure that one day I'll have the means to make up for all the fun I didn't have now. If all I have to do to get ahead for the future is give up some golf and guns (not at the same time) it's probably worth it.

We have enough clothes to wear; we never even have to go around naked. Sometimes I will just for fun, though.

We've never been forced to miss a meal. Sure, we've skipped a meal or two here or there, but, generally speaking, we make enough to keep food on the table. Not only that, but both of us cook pretty well. No mac and cheese for us, no sir. Well, unless it's Farfalle with Pecorino Romano cheese. I guess that counts.

We haven't had to live out on the street. That's always a plus. And, unlike some people, we don't even have to sleep in a tent in our back yard, though we could if we chose to.

Our lawn's green. Whoever would have thought I could bring our lawn back from the dead and actually make it sort of look good? Not me.

I guess the thing I appreciate most is my wife, Annie. Even if I had all of this and more it wouldn't make up for not having her. It's so much easier to enjoy the simple joys of life when you have someone to share them with.

8 comments:

Barb said...

Happy to see you looking on the bright side of things. Life tends to make the bad things stand out more and shade the good when your in the thick of things though.
Why is that?

Dave said...

You had me at hello Dan, you had me at hello.

Ha! Life is great when you put a girl in it.

Annie said...

gosh i sure hope you didn't just curse us! wait, i don't think it has been as smooth sailing as you. there, that will balance it out!!!

katie said...

I like to run around naked too.

Annie said...

seriously katie! and dan for that fact! oh, and, my car has more than 133,000 miles! wow!

Jenny said...

Thanks for this post Dan!! (actually thanks for ALL your posts...you make me laugh my head off) I was having a not just horrid, but SUPER horrid day. It was refreshing to get a new perspective.
Just the dose of medicine I needed.

Okay...wipe tear...shake it off...

I agree the best part of your life is Annie!!! You guys are seriously the greatest.

Sherry said...

What a great guy! But I will pass on the naked part.

Kristin Sokol said...

Agreed. Who cares if we've lost most of 30 grand in the market in the last week. At least we have good toilets and great spouses.