Photobucket


No Workey


For anyone who didn't know, or didn't scroll down far enough to read my last post, Annie's Grammie passed away last Sunday. We spent most of the day Wednesday at the funeral and at funeral-related events.
The funeral service was very well done, with some great talks and some really beautiful music. Annie's mom did especially well with her talk.
I felt a little out of place, having never really known Grammie; she's been at a few family events, and we've gone to see her a handful of times, but I can't say I even would have recognized her voice.
In addition to not knowing the deceased well, this was one of the first funerals I've been to where I didn't have a role. Usually I'm either speaking or praying or singing or carrying. But I was just a spectator this time. (Oh, I was an honorary pall-bearer, but that just means I got to wear a flower on my lapel. I didn't even have to pin it on myself--someone else did that.)
It was very nice to be able to spend some time with Annie's family; especially those that we don't get to see much. And, in addition to the funeral, we were able to eat a couple meals together and just relax, enjoying the day off work.
And that's what this post's really about: taking a day off of work in the middle of the week. On the one hand, it's really nice to have a break (especially when you can sleep in a bit). But on the other hand, it's really messes your body up, because you expect the next day to be Sunday. But no, it's not! You have to go to work again! And then, just as you start to get back in the "work groove" it's time for the REAL saturday.
I guess all things considered, I'd still rather have a day off than not (especially when it's paid), but it sure messes your week up.

4 comments:

Annie said...

That picture did come in handy...thanks for being so flexible, you did great!!!

katie said...

Just quit your job. Tell them you have a lot of funerals to attend.

Dan said...

I tried telling them I have a funeral planned for the week of Memorial Day, but they didn't believe me.

Misty Moncur said...

You should have my job where they force you to take five days off every so often. It's even paid (if you haven't used any of your vacation days). Enforced vacation is fun.