Photobucket


Don't Pick on Me

This sign popped up in our break room a couple days ago, and since then I've been trying to figure out what could have taken place to make someone think this was necessary.

I'm not the kind of guy who washes dishes while at work (and Annie would argue that I seldom wash dishes at home, either), but there are people here who have a full service for four at their desks and spend 20 minutes every afternoon doing all their in the break room.

I can understand washing a dish every now and then, but come on, people. Apparently, there are people who actually leave their dishes in the sink (I've never witnessed this myself, but I've seen quite a few left on the countertops near the sink to dry). Why would you leave your dirty dishes (or even clean dishes) in the sink at work?

Equally hard to answer: why would you hide somebody's dishes? Or throw somebody's dishes away? I can't imagine any circumstances where a normal, sane person would think this was a good idea. Maybe if there are people washing paper (well, okay, plastic) plates and they're being thrown away I can see someone throwing them away thinking they're doing someone a favor. It seems to me, though, if someone is periodically throwing away other peoples' dishes there might just be a problem with that person.

The real funny thing is the implication that someone has been "hiding" dishes. Why would anyone go to the trouble of hiding someone else's dishes. I don't get it.

The real real funny thing is that whatever may or may not be happening, someone felt strongly enough about it to print up a sign to try to prevent dish hidings. I admit, there are some people working here that don't fit in very well with normal society (you have to be careful not to accidentally bare your teeth as it can be seen as a sign of aggression).

I'm sure there was just one guy who left his dishes in the sink, someone put them away in the cupboards thinking that's where they belonged (why else would they be left there?), the guy came back and couldn't find them for awhile and thought he was being targeted by bullies. It may have happened more than once, with different people putting the dishes in different places.

Anyway, I don't know what the reasons are, or even if anything actually happened, but it really makes me laugh that college educated adults don't know how to interact with others of the same species.

5 comments:

Annie said...

are you implying that you fit in with normal society??? i'm not so sure....

Robert said...

What you do is this, write a note on that same sheet of paper when nobody is looking that says "Also, DO NOT leave your dishes in the sink as this is inconsiderate to others and you may be subject to hiding" Like the stupid lady at work that took away cake day..we're still going to have cake day, just in front of her office.. and not give her any. :>

Misty Moncur said...

No kidding. I say if someone leaves their dishes there, they are asking for them to be hidden. Like if you left your pen on someone else's desk, it's their new pen right? All they have to do is put it in their pen holder and it's theirs. Easy. Same with dishes.

katie said...

Very thought provoking Dan. I too think you should make your own sign and hang it when nobody is looking.

Elsie said...

On a similar note - someone explain this to me: Everytime I go to the kitchen at the Stake Center (which is really quite often) there are always dirty dishes in the sink - usually 2 plates and 2 forks and 2 glasses. Who? What? Why? I always wash them and put them away but maybe someone thinks I'm hiding them. I don't get it. Anyway, just wondered.