Photobucket


Jingle Jingle...

Since I have no originality or creativity today, I'm going to provide a list of advertising slogans/jingles that you might remember. You can point out the products they are/were for if you'd like, but any participation on your part is completely voluntary. I may also comment a little on some of the slogans.


  1. The One and Only (I'll give you a hint: it's Cheerios. I don't remember it, either.)

  2. Breakfast of Champions (I often use this phrase during awkward elevator rides while carrying my Diet Mountain Dew in one hand and my Raspberry Fritter in the other.)

  3. Gotta Have My Pops

  4. Kid Tested. Mother Approved.

  5. The Freshmaker (I've been known to use this as a self-imposed nickname.)

  6. Makes Mouths Happy (and tummies huge!)

  7. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't (I never do. It is odd, though, how Almond Joy and Mounds are the only set of male/female candybars out there.)

  8. Taste the Rainbow (Did Skittles change their marketing plan to appeal more to homersexuals, or did homersexuals change their marketing plan because they really liked Skittles?)

  9. Wake Up With the King (advertising slogan and cheesy pick-up line all in one.)

  10. Home of the Whopper (see #9)

  11. Where's the Beef? (Which is much better than their other "Do What Tastes Right" that just sounds like a line from a 1980's afterschool special.)

  12. When it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight (I've noticed they've backed away from this as gas prices are climbing...)

  13. We Love to Fly and it Shows (which, for some reason, in the recesses of my own mind, always sounds like: "We love to fly up your nose", which doesn't even make any sense.)

  14. Grab Life by the Horns

  15. Like a Rock (I've still never understood this simile: wouldn't you want to compare a mobile piece of equipment with something that actually moves? They had a pretty catchy tune with it, I guess (from Bob Seger).)

  16. Zoom Zoom (A lot of slogans seem really stupid out of the context of the commercial. I can't get the picture out of my head of a 3 year old pushing toy cars around; the kid in my head is pushing one of those that you can pull back and it moves forward automatically, except the kind just keeps pulling it back, never letting go, and it's making that horrible clicking sound and I know it's just shortening the life of the car but I can't say anything 'cause it's not my kid or my car.)

  17. Do you have the bunny inside? (No, it's not advertising a colonoscopy.)

  18. We bring good things to life. (Even with the mention of "good things" it still conjures up images of Dr. Frankenstein (or Better Off Dead)).

  19. Can you hear me now? (I was sure this would backfire on them. It seems akin to advertising some sort of food with the slogan, "Now does it taste okay?")

  20. Rip. Mix. Burn. (This is a slogan for Apple Computers, apparently, though I've never heard of it. It seems like it's giving advice on what to do with the product.)

  21. Raising the Bar (I still don't understand how geese flying in funny formations is supposed to increase my level of service.)

  22. I have good news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO. (It still never gets old to use when you tell someone you have good news.)

  23. Are you in good hands? (This slogan serves as a bitter reminder that I'll never be able to get a job as a hand model due to all the scars on my hands...and the hitchhiker's thumb on my left hand only...)

  24. Eat Fresh! (Subway has the dubious honor of being the place I've gotten sick at the most (with Burger King a close second. Apparently, it's not always fresh enough.)

  25. Once you pop the fun don't stop. (Actually, I think that's the very definition of the time when the fun stops.)

  26. Leggo my Eggo. (As a kid, I was never sure if these commercials were for Eggos or Legos, but I was always impressed at the lengths to which people would go to get their hands on someone's Eggo. Sort of like Barney in the Flintstone commercials, or the Trix bunny. The Trix bunny never got to eat the cereal (although I cheered for him each week). Barney always got to eat the cereal; he just had to eat it while running.)

  27. Milk. It does a body good. (I admit it: I only drank milk as a kid because of these commercials. They never said I'd be 27 before I was big enough to beat up bullies; I hoped it would only take a week or two.)

  28. Make 7-Up Yours (The guy walking around with the T-shirt with the really big letters (so big, in fact, that he had to split up the slogan, putting "Make 7-" on the front and "Up Yours" on the back) was a classic. I still want one of those shirts.)

  29. Only YOU can prevent forest fires. (Every time I saw these commercials I wanted to put on my moon boots, go out into the forest, start a fire, and stomp it right out.)

  30. Take a bite out of crime. (I never understood this one.)

  31. Give a hoot, don't pollute. (To this day I hoot like an owl whenever I drop bottles in the garbage can at a city park.)

  32. This is drugs. This is your brain on drugs. Any questions? (Yeah, this was WAY overused for decades, but I think it's set for a resurgence!)

  33. Don't Waste Utah. (I still really want one of those cars.)

  34. Friends don't let friends drive drunk. (But it's funny to watch strangers try to walk home.)

I was going to do 35 (okay, so I was really only planning 30), but can't decide on the last one. What's your favorite advertising slogan? And why?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite of all time is "You could get used to this... at the Quilted Bear" I don't want to have to get used to anything, I want it to be right when I buy it.

lizzie said...

we had the "where's the beef" board game as kids. katie used to do the best impression of the old lady in the commercial!

and i FINALLY got the eggo commercial just a few years ago: leggo=let go


and on of my favorite recent commercials is the jeep one with the singing animals...love it.

Annie said...

slow the flo...save h2o, i can never get that out of my head!

the freshmaker eh? really?

katie said...

wow.

Annie said...

did you say spot the tot? i can't remember. but i like that one too!

Misty Moncur said...

Russell, ah hahaha!

Heather said...

I will never eat Almond Joy and Mounds the same ever, ever again! Ha ha ha! I've never thought of it like that before! Thanks for the laugh!

Dave said...

smelly cat smelly cat what are they feeding you....give me a break give me break, break me off a piece of that kit kat bar! Rc Willy kills me too.

Bob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob said...

wazuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup?

I mean that never gets old does it?

As a kid I always liked the "Who wears short shorts, we wear short shorts" commercials... I have no idea what that was a commercial for, but those commercials had and continue to have a very profound effect on me.... let the record show that I do not wear short shorts myself... that is not the effect they had on me...