Photobucket


Socks

This really sucks... or does it sock? As I got to work today I felt something funny in my shoe. It felt like there was a small, flat rock, or that there was a flap of the insole that had flipped over and was rubbing on my foot funny.

I took off my shoe and shook it, but nothing came out. I reached into my shoe, but nothing was askew. Then I thought maybe there was something stuck to the bottom of my sock; a sticker or a piece of gum or something...

Yes, you're listening to a guy who took 5 minutes to figure out he had a hole in his sock. And not just a little hole, a BIG hole! Look at that thing!

But that wasn't the worst part of it. The worst part of it was that, as reality donned on me, I looked at the lower-right corner of my computer screen and noticed it was only 7:35...

All day! I had to spend all day with a hole in my sock. I couldn't take my shoes off and walk around the office like I usually do. And, above all else, it just felt funny.

And that's what I'd like to talk about: things that throw you off just a little bit; things that, in and of themselves aren't a big deal, but for some reason they ruin your whole day.

Among those things are:
  • A hole in your sock (obviously)
  • A missing button on your shirt (especially if you find the button, but there's absolutely nothing you can do to put it back on until the end of the day. One time I lost 5 of them at work. It sucked (or socked). Your only hope is to find a stapler.)
  • A fabric softener sheet inside your shirt sleeve. This one can drive you nuts; it just feels like your sleeve isn't sitting right. And, inexplicably, you spend the whole day thinking of that white teddy bear on the downy commercials).
  • Discovering you're wearing socks that don't match. This is much worse than the hole in the sock; you can hide a hole.
  • A big zit on your nose (or anywhere on your face, really) that nobody else even notices but you think everyone's staring at it.
  • A stain on your shirt (I like that commercial where the guy's at a job interview and every time he tries to talk the stain on his shirt starts jabbering).
  • Pants that are too short for you and don't cover your ankles. The whole day you try to scoot your pants down lower on your hips, but then you have to pull them up whenever you sit down so they don't rip, which brings up the next:
  • Ripping your pants when you're far away from any "replacement" pants, and you have nothing to cover yourself with. (This happened once on my mission at a member's house, about an hour from our apartment. And it wasn't a small rip, it was from one corner to the other of my vertical smile.)
  • Missing a spot shaving (this is especially bad when you only shave once a week; that one strip of 1/4in long hair really sticks out, and plucking them one by one just isn't an option (this is why I now have a razor at work.))

Anyway, this list is in no way comprehensive. Feel free to add your own experiences of things that have thrown you off your game. These things happen to everyone, and you might as well laugh at your experiences. Well, at least the rest of us might as well laugh at your experiences.

PS - Annie wants to make sure I let everyone know that we bought a bunch of new socks a few weeks back, and that I don't typically walk around with holey socks.


7 comments:

Erika W said...

I have a real problem with hangnails. If I have a hangnail and no available clippers, the thing will drive me mad until I eventually rip it from my finger with my teeth, which causes another problem...pain.

Misty Moncur said...

Thanks for the post. I hadn't realized how dependant I have become on you blog to strike my boredome.

You forgot to mention forgetting to wear your bra, not having time to put on your makeup, a run in your nylons that can't be fixed with nail polish, and any unexpected visits from Aunt Flo. Well, you probably didn't forget; I'm sure they just never occurred to you.

Misty Moncur said...

I forgot to say that your hole doesn't hold a candle to Heather's honkin' hole. And also "boredome." I think that's the Old English form.

Kristin Sokol said...

How about wearing pants or a shirt or both that are really just a hair too tight. Knowing people are looking at you thinking...."How does she think it's okay for her to wear that?"

Kristin Sokol said...

Oppiste of Dan, how about when your pants are too long and the drag on the ground, then it rains or snows andyou have to walk through it and your pants get wet and stay wet all day and get your sox wet too and your whole day is shot.

Kristin Sokol said...

How about when your bra somehow gets stuck under your shirt and you don't notice until it's too late...say until after you get your eighth grade school picture taken.

How could a phtographer not notice that and tell you. Amatures.

Kristin Sokol said...

What I mean to say was...DOn't you hate it when your bra get tucked under your shirt in the front and you get your school picture taken with your shirt tucked under your bra.