Photobucket


Wipeout!

For the first time in years (yes, years) I'm excited about a new television show. I might have to rearrange my schedule to view it every week. Of course, I haven't even seen it yet, so to make such claims now would be premature. It could be the stupidest show on TV; it's hard to tell at this point. But, regardless of how the show is, right now I'm excited.

The show is Wipeout. Stupid name, I know. It's patterned after the Spike Channel show "Most Extreme Elimination Challenge" (or MXC for short). MXC was created from footage of Takeshi's Castle, a Japanese game show from the 80's. They took the footage, dubbed english over it (I doubt it was a translation), and put it on the air.

If this new show is anywhere near as funny as the original (which is actually the old Japanese show) I'll be in heaven.
It looks like the Wipeout show is designed more with safety in mind. Instead of giant wooden rollers that people run across, they now have to run across giant bouncy balls. Hopefully just as funny, and a lot safer.

The show is on at 7:00pm tonight, followed at 8:00pm by "I Survived a Japanese Game Show". I know less about that show, but from what I can tell they signed people up for what they thought was a "normal" show, then flew them to Japan and made them compete in a variety of strange shows over there. It looks more "reality"-based, but still looks pretty funny.

Anyway, my evening is planned. I would encourage you to watch. If it turns out that both shows are really stupid and not funny (something can be stupid as long as it's funny) you can blame me for wasting 2 hours of your life. But, on the other hand, if you enjoy the shows and have to watch them each week all summer, you can blame me for wasting 48 hours of your life, I guess.

4 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, I'm so excited...could you sense the sarcasm in my voice???:) Didn't think so! As long as it isn't as bad as America's Funniest Home Videos, I'll be ok!

Dave said...

Listen...

what about celeb. circus?!!!! Sweet! A bunch of hob-nobs and has been movie actors dueling it out on t.v. to join the circus. Actually I really wanted to check out the show wipeout because of the awsome smack that is bound to happen. I stole the line Listen from Bob Sokol.

Bob said...

I can still clearly remember my first time watching MXC... it was a cool November evening in 2004. My 2 friends from Pharmacy school and I had just finished studying medicinal chemistry for like 4 solid hours, and our brains had had all they could take (I know its correct to use, but it always seems wrong to use "had had," rarely can you use the same word twice in a row without sounding like a total moron...)

Anyway, my buddy said "hey, turn on Spike, I think MXC is on." I was like, "MXC?" and he was like "oh my $*(#&$ you haven't seen it?" So we turned it on. It must have been an MXC marathon because we watched for like 3 straight hours. I may have failed that test after laughing out all my knowledge, but dang was that a fun night. My wife doesn't "get it," but it is awsome... I Tivo'd the new version and am hoping to watch it as soon as this comment is done, so see ya.

Bob said...

I was not disapointed at all... I loved the big balls and sucker punch wall... Tuesday nights ROCK!!!