Photobucket


The Wheels on the Bus

All through the week I come up with great little one-liners to post on here, but whenever I sit down to write them, they're gone. I need to start writing them down. Of course, I've done that, too, and usually when I re-read the ideas later, they're not nearly as funny as they were when I first had them. So, lucky you, reader, you get left with those few things that I can remember.

Last week--in fact a week ago today--I decided to exercise my first amendment right to voice my opinion. I don't like to be the guy who squeaks, but I sent an e-mail to UTA; you know, the bus and train people. On the bus I take in the morning there are about 50 people who ride every day, which, as you can imagine, fills up a bus pretty well. Your imagination's right; the bus is packed!

But, for the two years I've been riding the bus, we've been getting a long (articulated) bus that holds a lot more people (though it's still not much more comfortable). It used to be that every now and then they'd give us a short (regular) bus and it wasn't a great big deal. In May, though, they started giving us the short bus all the time, occasionally sending a long one.

Well, that got old pretty quick, and I finally hit my breaking point last week when there were people standing in the aisle for the 45 minute trip into Salt Lake.

So I sent an e-mail. It was a lot more polite than I intended it to be, and pretty well thought out. I didn't expect anything to come of it (and I may still be right), but today was the first day since sending the e-mail that we got a short bus. Sure, that's only 4 days of long bus heaven, but it's 4 more days than any of us expected.

Maybe it pays to be a little squeaky sometimes.

This may be a little off topic, but important nonetheless (I love words that are really just lots of other words put together):

Why is it so hard to control what we eat? Maybe if all food tasted bad we wouldn't care so much. We'd just force ourselves to eat enough to survive. That's what New York City's trying to accomplish with all its food bans (which is a rant for another day).

Whenever I feel like eating a snack at work, it's never the fruit bowl they sell downstairs that I buy. Sometimes it's a granola bar, which is healthy...except that I usually eat two!

Regardless, whenever I eat something I know I shouldn't, this song pops into my head. (If you missed the link there, try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSUh2b1ufi4 )

It pretty much sums up my food behavior, except that I don't ever really eat healthy... So, really, for me, it would be like eating bad things, but then sneaking around to eat worse things. Oh well.

4 comments:

Misty Moncur said...

You should write down the ideas or you will lose them. Period. Keep a notebook.

I'm glad you had four days of long bus happiness. You should just resend the same email every four days. Problem solved.

I have a pretty good habit of 250 calories for breakfast, same for lunch and a sensible dinner with no snacking in between. BUT, if I vary, like I say I'm not hungry and skip breakfast, I will end up eating 3000 calories for lunch, snacking all day, and forgetting to feed my family because I'm too busy eating. So I would say you must establish some good eating habits. Then you can be in control of what goes in your mouth.

Kristin Sokol said...

Like dozens of people stand in the isles of Steve's bus from Herriman now. ANd the bike rack on the front of the bus fills up and people have to bring bikes on there too. I heard a couple of people had to bring thier chickens on board too, so I don't know what that means...

As far as controling what you eat. I, as you may have noticed growing up with me, have always had a problem controling what and how much of what I am eating. I however have found a solutiont that, after all these years, works for me. Weight Watchers.

I highly recommend it. It does cost money (like 9 dollars a week). It was a little hard to swallow at first, but then I realized we actually saved money because I stopped at Wendy's a whole lot less and ate less food in general.

Also WW works in real life and you still get to eat any kinds of food you want. You just have to plan it better and therefore enjoy it a whole lot more, feel a lot less guilt, and have a lot more energy (because you are not digesting so much food you don't actually need.)

So if you want to learn how to eat better and enjoy the foods you love more, I say just do it. Join the Weight Watchers. I lost over 50 pounds.

lizzie said...

did you ever ride the short bus to school when you were little? that could explain the previous post as well.

Misty Moncur said...

Seriously, if you don't post again soon, I'm going to die of boredom.